Monday, March 5, 2007
V/A - Arktinen Hysteria: Suomi-Avantgarden Esipuutarhureita (Finnish Avantgarde), 2001, Love Records
Some people might already have this one, but it should be of interest to fans of Pekka Airaksinen, The Sperm, MA Numminen, even Charlies, Apollo, Hector, and other Finland 60's stuff. There's some seriously kick-ass stuff on here, with plenty of unreleased tracks (including a 13-minute unreleased live Sperm track). This is essential in my eyes. There's lots of great experimental thought going on here, much of it is very politically oriented, and could even be said to be nihilistic in a way: the attitudes and methods of some of these artists would not be a million miles away from that of the Dada artists of the 10's and 20's, but maybe you'll disagree with me on that one.
The tracklisting is as follows:
1. M.A. Numminen, Tommi Parko, Pekka Kujanpää: Eleitä kolmelle röyhtäilijälle ("Gestures for Three Belchers", 1961)
2. M.A. Numminen & Sähkökvartetti: Kaukana väijyy ystäviä ("Electric Quartet: Far Away Lurk Friends", 1968)
3. Tommi Parko: Hysteriablues (1968)
4. Erkki Salmenhaara: Information Explosion, prologue (1967)
5. Blues Section: Shivers Of Pleasure (1967)
6. Erkki Kurenniemi: Antropoidien tanssi ("Dance of the Anthropoids", 1968)
7. Jukka Ruohomäki: Mikä aika on ("What Time Is", 1970)
8. Jouni Kesti & Seppo I. Laine: Vallankumouksen analyysi ("Analysis of Revolution", 1970)
9. The Sperm: 3rd Erection (1968)
10. J.O. Mallander: 1962 (1968)
11. The Sperm: Kuoleman puutarha live (otteita) ("Excerpts from The Opera 'Garden of Death'", 1970)
12. Pekka Airaksinen: Pieni sienikonsertto - A Little Soup For Piano And Orchestra
13. S. Albert Kivinen: Spirea (1970)
This site takes each track one by one and provides invaluable info on each and every artist and their contributing track (it's concise too).
The follow-up, More Arctic Hysteria, and a seperate compilation, Psychedelic Phinland will probably be uploded in the future too.